Stereo Reference Power Amplifier
Moving power. Immersive resolution.
In the past, reviewers have called our XPA-2 “the best amplifier value I’ve ever seen.” We think they’ll simply call the new XPR-2 “the best, period.”
Skeptical? Take a deeper look at the XPR-2. Twice the power of the XPA-2 is only the start. As a member of the all-new Reference Series, the XPR-2 packs decades of expertise into a rock-solid, jewel-finished 100-lb chassis. It incorporates dual differential inputs on each channel, with fully complementary high bandwidth power stage design, massive peak current capability, and audiophile-grade precision components, for sonic performance reaching beyond “the best of the best.”
Let’s start with 600 RMS watts into 8 ohms, and 1000 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Imagine this massive power delivered with sonic refinement—pinpoint imaging, immersive detail, and a relaxed sense of authority. The XPR-2 is an “end game” amplifier, fully capable of driving the most difficult speakers to their full potential.
Like all Reference Series components, the XPR-2 looks the part, with a precision-machined, 1” billet aluminum, multi-element faceplate, with laser embossing, and hand polished detailing that is worthy of fine jewelry. Massive gold-plated input and output connectors are on hand to ensure maximum signal fidelity and lossless power transmission. Inside, a huge 2.5kVA toroidal transformer—itself weighing over 30 lbs. and coupled to a massive low ESR filter bank—feeds a pair of Optimized Class H power amplifier modules, crafted from premium components, including precision metal film resistors, film capacitors, and multilayer glass epoxy PCB’s. Advanced protection is on tap for absolute reliability, with ARM based microprocessor control system for complete stability.
The Emotiva Reference Series components represent a lasting investment in quality. Experience the XPR-2 for yourself, and discover real power and with absolute control.
XPR-2 – Moving power. Immersive resolution.
Palletized Shipping Protects Your Shipment
Since our Reference-series amplifiers are so large and heavy, we palletize (crate) them individually for shipping via LTL freight. This protects their precision electronics and fine finish from damage, and ensures that your amp will arrive in perfect condition.
- Discrete, dual differential input on each channel.
- Fully complimentary topology.
- Ultra high current, triple Darlington output stage.
- 18 high performance 250 watt output devices per channel, for a total of 36.
- Effortlessly drives complex speaker loads with ease; stable with virtually all real-world speakers.
- Optimized Class H™ power supply with high operating efficiency and 2.5 kVA toroidal transformer for exceptional power reserves.
- Independently switchable balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs.
- Audiophile-grade, gold plated, super heavy-duty speaker terminals and machined RCA input connectors.
- Multi-element 25 mm CNC milled billet aluminum faceplate.
- Variable intensity accent lighting and user-selectable stealth illumination mode.
- LED bar graph metering system with selectable ballistics; VU and peak reading with auto release.
- Channel status LEDs indicate high temperature and fault conditions.
- Soft touch power button with in-rush limiting.
- Trigger input and output for linking to other trigger-enabled equipment.
- Switchable AC line voltage operation—115 VAC or 230 VAC /50-60Hz (auto switching).
XPR-2 Manual (PDF)
- Topology: Fully discrete, dual differential inputs on each channel, with high current, short signal path Class A/B amplification, and Optimized Class-H™ power supply topology.
- Number of Channels: 2
- Power Output
(rated power; THD < 0.1%):
600 watts / channel (x2); both channels driven; into 8 Ohms.
1,000 watts / channel (x2); both channels driven; into 4 Ohms.
- Rated Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz + /- 0.1 dB.
- Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (each channel): 4 Ohms (which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads per channel).
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 80 kHz (+ 0 / - 3 dB).
- THD + noise: < 0.0025%
- Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
> 116 dB at rated power (A-weighted).
> 91 dB at 1 watt (A-weighted).
- Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 1,000
- Speaker Output Connections:
Super heavy-duty custom Emotiva speaker binding posts - with clear acrylic insulators and heavy duty gold plated contacts; designed to accept heavy-gauge bare cables, lugs, or banana plugs.
- Power Supply:
2.5 kVA toroidal power transformer.
240,000 uF low ESR capacitor bank.
- Input sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 2.6 V
- Gain: 29 dB
- Input Connections:
(2) RCA; unbalanced (audiophile quality, solid brass, machined, gold plated); one per channel.
(2) XLR; balanced; one per channel.
- Input Impedance:
100k Ohms (unbalanced).
51k Ohms (balanced).
Trigger Input: 5 - 20 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required.
Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 50 mA.
- Power Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz (user selectable).
The XPR-2 requires a 20 Amp circuit and standard IEC 20 Amp outlet (which is different than a 15 Amp outlet).If you don’t have a proper circuit and outlet, we recommend you have one installed by a qualified electrician. We recommend that the XPR-2 be plugged into its own dedicated 20 Amp circuit.
- Protection: The XPR-2 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions. If a fault occurs on one or more channels of the XPR-2, the LED above the Standby button, and the Channel Status LEDs and the LED Bargraph Meter LEDs associated with the channel that is reporting the fault will flash red. Returning the XPR-2 to Standby or switching off the AC Power will reset the protection circuitry.
unboxed: 17" wide x 9.5" high x 19.5" deep (includes feet and binding posts; requires additional 3-4" of depth clearance to accomodate the power cord).
(double) boxed: 27" length x 25" width x 16" height
- Weight: 100 lbs (net); 114 lbs (boxed)